What is the jam for firewall/ trans tunnel insulation in street cars?

General auto enthusiast topics...

Moderators: DEALER1, RichardA, Prin

vehicular
I absolutely have no life

What is the jam for firewall/ trans tunnel insulation in street cars?

Post by vehicular » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:36 pm

I need to replace the firewall blanket (which is torn) and at least one of the exhaust heat shields (which is disintegrating, and causing galvanic corrosion in my floor pan).

Requirements: Must not hold water or aluminum directly against steel bodywork or mounting hardware. Must look professional installed. Must be both thermal and acoustic insulator. Must weigh under 10lb for the whole firewall and trans tunnel. May be single product or a system. May include interior and exterior firewall treatments, or only exterior.

So far, I think my main contenders are a gold heat reflective film (possibly the house brand stuff Pegasus sells, or Thermo Tek 24 K) on the outside of the firewall, and a foam or jute absorber on the inside, or Second Skin's Mega Block, which is a hydrophobic treated melamine foam bonded to a foil reflector. I would also consider an embossed aluminum heat shield material if it had a non-conductive backing layer.

I might also consider a mass loaded vinyl, but it seems like a pain to install, as it has to be loose, and can't be bonded to anything in order to work. It would be easy on the floors and trans tunnel, I guess, but would have to be hung on the firewall somehow. Plus it's heavy.

Do any of you guys have a good recommendation for this? I'd really like to know what "aerospace insulator system" Singer is using on their 911s....

Wilson!

Re: What is the jam for firewall/ trans tunnel insulation in street cars?

Post by Wilson! » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:50 pm

Following along on this one. The floor of my XJ gets uncomfortably hot on long drives.

1slow64
Sr. Postwhore

Post by 1slow64 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:43 pm

LizardSkin is a popular one in the classic car world but it is also a spray product so I'm not sure if you would be interested in it.
07 Tahoe LTZ
64 GMC Fleetside

vehicular

Post by vehicular » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:44 pm

I don't hate Lizard Skin, but I'm not in love with the idea of spraying something on that I can't take back off.