Anyone DIY ceramic coat?

General auto enthusiast topics...

Moderators: DEALER1, RichardA, Prin

racinfast002
Special Tool

Anyone DIY ceramic coat?

Post by racinfast002 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:48 pm

So wife’s new telluride is new and I want to keep it looking that way. I am considering doing a ceramic coat on it to help protect it from the sun down here in Florida. Obviously before I go on this adventure I am going to do a trial run on my Jeep. I already have a porter cable da buffer, but haven’t tried my hand at it yet.

So any tricks or tips would appreciate. Also recommendations on product as well.
JUSTIN
Krispy Kreme wrote:Yall think I don't get girls. Cause I ain't very tall, but if she sees my stacks I'd bet you that she'd call.

maireeka
I absolutely have no life

Re: Anyone DIY ceramic coat?

Post by maireeka » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:16 pm

I'm too cheap/lazy for a real coating. I have been using meguiars hybrid ceramic spray wax on our cars for a little while and am happy with the results:effort ratio
Miata, wrx, 4runner

Patrick

racinfast002
Special Tool

Post by racinfast002 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:07 pm

maireeka wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:16 pm
I'm too cheap/lazy for a real coating. I have been using meguiars hybrid ceramic spray wax on our cars for a little while and am happy with the results:effort ratio
Oh I’m ok with spending a whole Saturday on this effort to not have to do it again for several years.
JUSTIN
Krispy Kreme wrote:Yall think I don't get girls. Cause I ain't very tall, but if she sees my stacks I'd bet you that she'd call.

OMGWTFBODY

Post by OMGWTFBODY » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:22 pm

I'd holler at Printerson or Kanser.
STeeL wrote:Not a bad price for unlimited dicks.

Puter
Jr. Postwhore

Post by Puter » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:40 am

You mention ceramic coat, then you talk about a DA buffer.
So do you have a buffer, or polisher?

First, you are talking "paint correction" when you mention the buffer, I believe.
I use a Porter Cable 7424XP with both orange and white Lake Country pads for the polishing. I use Meguiar's Professional (they have three levels of cutting) for the liquid cutting compound.
That is what takes all of the time. Of course, you should have already washed and claybared the vehicle.
Some also use an iron remover.
Lots of videos on how to do this.
Basically you use the lightest cut compound you can with the white pad to see if swirls will polish out.
If you have scratches, you will have to go over with a more aggressive cut and the orange pad. then back with the fine cut/cleaner and white pad to remove haze.
Takes me all day on a car.

The ceramic coating is simple and easy depending on which you get. Most have an applicator block and pad. A few drops and you do a small part (2x2) and spread in one direction. Right when it starts to flash you wipe it off.

I did this last week.
IMG_3261[1].JPG
IMG_3261[1].JPG (2.57 MiB) Viewed 271 times
Puter
85 Mustang GT convertible
96 Corvette
08 Corvette convertible

Michael V
I donated to hsvracing.com!

Post by Michael V » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:16 am

IMG_3261[1].JPG
IMG_3261[1].JPG (2.57 MiB) Viewed 263 times
That looks Fantastic! :shock:

OMGWTFBODY

Post by OMGWTFBODY » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:06 pm

Puter wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:40 am

First, you are talking "paint correction" when you mention the buffer, I believe.
I use a Porter Cable 7424XP with both orange and white Lake Country pads for the polishing. I use Meguiar's Professional (they have three levels of cutting) for the liquid cutting compound.
That is what takes all of the time. Of course, you should have already washed and claybared the vehicle.
Basically you use the lightest cut compound you can with the white pad to see if swirls will polish out.
If you have scratches, you will have to go over with a more aggressive cut and the orange pad. then back with the fine cut/cleaner and white pad to remove haze.

The ceramic coating is simple and easy depending on which you get. Most have an applicator block and pad. A few drops and you do a small part (2x2) and spread in one direction. Right when it starts to flash you wipe it off.

I did this last week.

IMG_3261[1].JPG

Damn @ C4
STeeL wrote:Not a bad price for unlimited dicks.

racinfast002
Special Tool

Post by racinfast002 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:05 pm

Puter wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:40 am

I did this last week.

IMG_3261[1].JPG
This is great information. Yes I meant polisher. I basically want to polish the car to that finish and then seal and protect it from the Florida sun.
JUSTIN

Puter
Jr. Postwhore

Post by Puter » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:42 am

Thanks, guys. Appreciate the kind words.

Justin, just take your time and have patience. I'm more of a wrencher than waxer, so this was a big deal for me to take all the time I did with this one. The paint is 12 years old.
Below is what I think is a very good video. Take the time to watch this guy. I like what he says. He's really selling the Griot's in this one.
I should try it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CUC6zurChM

Also, here's a video that shows how to actually apply ceramic. Chemical Guys are well-known and trusted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdzJHATaU0Q
Puter
85 Mustang GT convertible
96 Corvette
08 Corvette convertible

racinfast002
Special Tool

Post by racinfast002 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:06 pm

Puter wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:42 am

Justin, just take your time and have patience. I'm more of a wrencher than waxer, so this was a big deal for me to take all the time I did with this one. The paint is 12 years old.
Below is what I think is a very good video. Take the time to watch this guy. I like what he says. He's really selling the Griot's in this one.
I should try it.

Also, here's a video that shows how to actually apply ceramic. Chemical Guys are well-known and trusted.

same. I’ll check those videos out in the AM and order supplies.
JUSTIN

AnthonyRSS
I should help pay for bandwidth

Post by AnthonyRSS » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:49 am

I’ve done several cars, including the Camaro. Actually applying the ceramic coating is pretty easy, but the prep work is a lot. Getting all the swirls and marks out of the paint is key. I used CQuartz to good effect for the. Coating and Meguiars 105/205 with orange/blue pads. Harbor Freight has the Meguiars cheap btw.

racinfast002
Special Tool

Post by racinfast002 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:46 am

AnthonyRSS wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:49 am
I’ve done several cars, including the Camaro. Actually applying the ceramic coating is pretty easy, but the prep work is a lot. Getting all the swirls and marks out of the paint is key. I used CQuartz to good effect for the. Coating and Meguiars 105/205 with orange/blue pads. Harbor Freight has the Meguiars cheap btw.
I think I’m going chemical guys for the polish. Although read a lot about the meguiars as well.

Haven’t landed on what coating yet. There are certainly a lot out there in a lot of different price ranges.
JUSTIN

Prin

Post by Prin » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:07 pm

Hey yall!!!! Im here to help!!! You can do it if done correctly. But, we apply professional grade stuff that you will have to sand off if you goof up. Meguiars is very old school. I used 105/205 15+ years ago. But, I'm not saying that it is bad. 205 finishes very well. But, 105 dust tremendously. Try something like 3D's 400. Its a hybrid and will cut and polish at the same time with NO dust. Also, you are going to vibrate your hand off with a 7424, but it will get the job done. We only use Rupes machines and I use my 7424 on a very low speed to apply a sealer if wanted. Again, all of the ceramics that you can by will get it done if you are careful. If you have any questions, you got my number!
What about if I just want the shine to last a month or so?

97_ek
Sr. Postwhore

Post by 97_ek » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:41 am

I'll kind of build off of what Prin said...

Rupes and Flex makes polishers that are better for people that do paint corrections regularly, but you can get good results with your PC. As he mentioned, of course it vibrates more, but it'll be okay for 1 vehicle. Back before I bought my Flex DAs I used a PC and Lake Country CCS pads, and they always did well for me. The lake country orange CCS will probably remove any defects you have and still finish out nice with a good polish. You can grab a couple of white pads too just in case the orange doesn't finish down as clear as you want, but I don't think you'll have a problem with the orange pads.

Like Prin mentioned, 3D has some good stuff, Sonax makes a great polish called EX 04-06 that I use often for 1-step polishes before coating a car (assuming it doesn't have any crazy amounts of defects to remove). If it has some more defects, you could go with Sonax's Cut and Finish on the orange pad.

Makes sure you get a good paint prep solution like Gtechniq's Panel Wipe, Blackfire Paint Prep, etc (every major company makes a prep spray), and wipe the whole surface down with that really well before you coat the car. This will make sure the surface is free from oils, polishes, etc. and the coating will bond properly.

As far as coatings go, Prin uses GTechniq products exclusively I think, and I do too. Hard to beat GTechniq's CSL+EXO for a consumer grade product, and it is good for 5 years (assuming it is maintained correctly)

97_ek
Sr. Postwhore

Post by 97_ek » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:47 am

Puter wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:42 am

I should try it.

I didn't watch the video, but if the guy is using the Griots G9 DA, it's a solid machine for any enthusiast who just works on his own stuff. Tons of power over the old Griots 6" polisher or the PC. The Griots G8 is also an excellent 3" polisher with more power than you'd ever need in a 3". Solid combo, and they have lifetime warranties.