Huntsville Racing

General Auto Discussion - Huntsville Dragway under fire again........

bigbadbowtie - Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:07 pm
Post subject: Huntsville Dragway under fire again........
They are having to cancel races now do to the friggin noise ordinance.
If you like this track.... you better start writing people.

http://forum.georgehowardracing.com/viewtopic.php?t=242
http://forum.georgehowardracing.com/viewtopic.php?t=247
MyBad70 - Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:10 pm
Post subject:
id hate to see it close for sure
but if they keep raising admission every year, it wont be open much longer anyway
GearedUp - Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:21 pm
Post subject:
How stupid do you have to be to move close to a drag strip and then complain about the noise?

Probally some tree hugging yuppies. Got some book smarts but not a drop of common sense.
97GST - Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:23 pm
Post subject:
I would definatley hate to see it close. I've been going there since I was 5 or so years old (12 years) and I have loved every moment of it. I was surprised that they didn't just go ahead and shut it down after the Tornado hit it. This is the only track that I have ever been to, and ever raced on. I used to watch Scotty Cannon when he would occasionally come, and even John Force the 2 or 3 times he came. It would be a shame to see my childhood dragstrip shut down for good.
bigbadbowtie - Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:23 pm
Post subject:
James.... its actually 1 lady who started all this BS
97GST - Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:26 pm
Post subject:
Well, the dragstrip was there LONG before the houses were. The only houses I remember was the one at the dead end (where you turn left), and the ones down that road. And i'm pretty sure that the drag strip was there even before those houses were built. I'm also pretty sure that those aren't the people who called into to complain about noise.....
Taco - Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:27 pm
Post subject:
Please please please guys, EVERYBODY do something to help.

If we all just send one e-mail or make 1 phone call, imagine the total number of people who will have made an effort on this situation.

I'll be e-mailing and calling anybody and everybody I can get a number/e-mail address on!!!
97GST - Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:29 pm
Post subject:
If you'll tell me who to contact, besides WAFF or the other weather channels, I will also make a stand. Just let me know who to email or call.
Defender - Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:33 pm
Post subject:
just post a email address, and i will send them plenty and i would also like the address of that one lady
Bandit - Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:46 pm
Post subject:
I need the address of the one lady for sure...vandalism FTW...just kidding you police guys....give me the e-mail addresses, addresses, phone numbers, etc. I think we're all getting tired of this
Defender - Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:48 pm
Post subject:
hell yae i know im tired of it and im perty sure the dragway was there before she was
Bandit - Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:51 pm
Post subject:
and the dragway will be there after she is....and that's the bottom line because...well Huntsville said so.
bigbadbowtie - Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:57 pm
Post subject:
This is the email for district 4....The district where the track is located.
dist4@co.madison.al.us I have no doubt if you use that email Dale Strong will get it.

If you send emails, make calls,ect ect.. use common sense, don't use language... last thing they need is to look like is a bunch of rednecks.

It looks they they are trying to get the local news to make the OSCRA race to see how large of a crowd($$$) that the track brings in.
JasonB - Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:59 pm
Post subject:
I just sent an e-mail to channel 19 through their taking action button. You have to register, but it's pretty quick.

www.whnt.com
bigbadbowtie - Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:02 pm
Post subject:
^^^^ thanks for the link....
Taco - Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:10 pm
Post subject:
newsroom@waaytv.com also
Bandit - Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:15 pm
Post subject:
Got r' did
Taco - Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:39 pm
Post subject:
Also:

news@waff.com
sports@waff.com (seems like a logical inclusion into this situation)

More as they're available
Taco - Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:43 pm
Post subject:
Also, somebody write us up a nice form letter that addresses all the issues at hand with proper terminology and grammar.

I would try but my head's somewhat foggy right now.
chevy408 - Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:49 pm
Post subject:
I called Dale Strong's office and Mike Gilespie's and left messages. The receptionist at Strong's office said she hadn't heard any new problems regarding the noise ordinance, but she said she would get Dale to look into it and call me back.
Taco - Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:03 pm
Post subject:
Hold your breath for that...!
bigbadbowtie - Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:11 pm
Post subject:
I see Clyde turning blue for some reason....^^^^^
Taco - Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:12 pm
Post subject:
Then purple... followed by a greyish white...
00_EKHatch - Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:18 pm
Post subject:
I called the commisioner just now and told him what kind of a big deal the Huntsville dragway was to all of us...Maybe it will help.. Rolling Eyes
WDW MKR - Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:42 pm
Post subject:
I sent an e-mail and hope to have time for phone calls later today or tomorrow morning. Here is a clip from what I sent:

I am very disheartened and frustrated to see more attacks coming the way of Huntsville Dragway. We recently dodged a bullet by compromising with local resident developers by means of a noise ordinance; a noise ordinance that should never have been passed for an establishment in place long before the builders who are complaining. There is now news of increased pressure coming with the noise ordinance as support. People are attempting to cancel local racing events because of this ordinance, which is exactly what everyone knew was coming when it was put into place. We all knew the ordinance was a stepping stone for more attacks.

The events they are trying to shut down bring revenue to the area, entertainment to enthusiasts from all over the Nation, and a lifestyle for many local residents. These increasing restrictions are an attempt to shut the track down. Doing so would not only eliminate the aforementioned revenue and positive lifestyle created by large racing events, but also put more racing back out onto the street. I don't see how officials can stand idly by and let things like this happen with all of the recent efforts to eliminate illegal street racing and promote safe behaviors for automobile enthusiasts. It really seems that people are speaking from both sides of their mouths.

Please take the time to seriously look into this issue and understand all of the surrounding facts. A very small group of people are working maliciously to shut down our track. They moved in knowing it was there in an attempt to develop cheap real estate and make money. While I have absolutely nothing against someone getting ahead in life, it should not be at the expense of loyal, law-abiding, tax-paying, local citizens who enjoy an establishment built long before these protesters and their houses were even in the area.

JasonB - Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:45 pm
Post subject:
Is there any way to get this ordinance brought up for a re-vote?
Taco - Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:50 pm
Post subject:
Very nice Ike.

I'm also going to add a line or 2 encouraging them or someone in their offices to attend the ORSCA race coming up and see just how big a draw the track can be. I urge you all to do the same.
Taco - Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:00 pm
Post subject:
This is what I added, feel free to edit/add further:

I alse urge you to attend the upcoming ORSCA (Outlaw Racing Street Car Association) Event on the weekend of March 30-April 1. This event will be a great barometer by which the impact of Huntsville Dragway can be easily measured. Many of the racers competing at this race started their "career" on the streets. Through a great effort by Sanctioning bodies such as ORSCA, along with local drag strips, these racers have a safe, controlled environment in which they can compete against fellow enthusiasts without breaking any laws. Unfortunately, if the attacks against Huntsville Dragway continue successfully, they will have no such place to compete, and unfortunately, this means taking their passion for racing back onto the local streets.

I thank you deeply for taking time to read this, and I sincerely hope you will consider looking further into the matter before you decided on your course of action.
mjhoward - Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:10 pm
Post subject:
I sent emails to all three links.
bigbadbowtie - Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:25 pm
Post subject:
I have emailed and called Mr strong as well as the news people.
chevy408 - Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:54 pm
Post subject:
.... about to pass out....

I guess I'll go back to breathing again. Doesn't look like Mr. Strong will call me back this afternoon.
Flyin' A II - Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:06 pm
Post subject:
First draft of what I'll be sending to all media, city and county officials.

71 Winnapaug Rd.
Westerly, RI 02891
March 20, 2007

Local News Manager

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing in regards to the newest round of complaints centered around the Huntsville Dragway and the local noise ordinance. Although I am not officially a resident of the Huntsville area, I do spend a great deal of time here every year. I find it appalling that such an ordinance can be passed and not be overturned in a court, given the fact that the drag strip has been in continuous operation long before any of those offended decided to build a house there. I do speak with some experience in this sort of matter, as I chose to live in a resort area. My permanent residence is located about two blocks from the beach, on the main road to the beach. I knew prior to purchasing the house there would be traffic and noise. Perhaps I should petition/purchase the ear of my local government officials and put a stop to that. I think not. I knew going in there would be noise and traffic. If for some reason, say the realtor told me it was a quite peaceful neighborhood all the time, well shame on me for not doing my homework. At any rate, doing so would not only hurt the local businesses and revenues in my town, it would also detract from the character of the town. The Huntsville Dragway is not unlike the beach in my town. It is a viable and important part of the area. It provides jobs, not only to those directly employed by the track, but to many working in various businesses throughout the area. Each year since about 2000, I stay at a hotel in Huntsville for 2 to 4 months. The same hotel derives a great deal of business from the track. As I drive around the city, I see many specialty shops providing services and goods to racers and fans alike. Stop and think about how many people buy meals, sodas, or other items to and from the events at the track. All these revenues provide funds to the city of Huntsville, the county, and the state. It may be small in the big picture, but it is money that will have to be made up somewhere.
Let us look at another asset of this facility, adding to the character of the area. People as far away as New Hampshire (in my personal experience) know of the Huntsville Dragway. When they find out I spend time here, I am often asked if I know of the place. It has earned the reputation of being one of the best run 1/8 drag strips in the country. I’ve met Mr. Howard a few times, and must say, any city, town, village, whatever would be blessed to have such entrepreneurs associated with them. Should you have any doubts about the man, let me remind all that he is a Hall of Famer. Quite an honor, and in my humble opinion, reason enough to support him, not castigate him.
Lastly I’d like to touch on perhaps the most important aspect of this facility. The contribution it makes to the safety and well being of the area. As one drives around Huntsville, it is easy to see that the performance car hobby abounds here. This should not come as any surprise, because it is the same everywhere. The majority of those involved are younger folks. These are our children, neighbors, friends, co-workers, and a few older guys like me. What Mr. Howard and his fine facility provide is a safe and controlled environment for the enthusiast. Don’t kid yourself, there still is some street racing and recklessness on the public ways, but the majority of racing is done on the track. Compare, if you would, highway deaths and injuries due to racing type accidents from Huntsville to any comparable metropolitan area. You will find a marked lower rate here due directly to the fact of the drag strip. The performance enthusiast is going to want to see what his car will do. Ask yourself, would you rather he did it at the track, or perhaps in your lane of a public road. Simple answer for me. Back home, where there is a lack of such facilities, street racing is a big issue in most towns. You can check for yourself fairly easy. Do a search on any of the sites affiliated with the Berlin Turnpike. If this was happening here, you’d be screaming at the local law enforcement agencies.
All in all, it seems to me that most people in the area know the benefits of the track greatly outweigh the detractions. It is a well run, established business which provides a baneful product for all. Somehow, we must all work together to keep a few noisy “do-gooders” from ruining such a great asset.

Sincerely,

Paul T. Casey, Jr.
Taco - Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:13 pm
Post subject:
Well Said Mr. Casey!
00_EKHatch - Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:28 pm
Post subject:
Well said Jason and Casey!
jonpiper - Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:32 pm
Post subject:
its going to end ... its sad but true .
$$$$ thats what its coming down to . People are paying high prices for the land out there and truely very few people car what happens to the track .

When people move close to a railroad do they complain to have it moved ?

What I see is an increase of street racing or smaller local tracks will explode with business , looks like chikin made a wise financial descison
mjhoward - Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:32 pm
Post subject:
Well said, and thank you sir.
Felix - Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:55 pm
Post subject:
jonpiper wrote:
its going to end ... its sad but true .
$$$$ thats what its coming down to . People are paying high prices for the land out there and truely very few people care what happens to the track .

Agreed.

Maybe someone will build a 1/4 track somewhat close, soon.
Bandit - Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:02 pm
Post subject:
Negativity much...I am hoping the government officials will take this into consideration and the dragstrip will be there for years to come for all to enjoy and partake of.
Chikin - Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:24 pm
Post subject:
I'm a fan of HSV Dragway. I would hate to see it shut down. I've raced there for years and think its absolutely STUPID that people would move right next to a Dragway and then complain.

Yeah it would be good for my business, but I'd rather have HSV stay. Its a part of my own history Crying or Very sad I will support HSV Dragway in anyway possible Exclamation

I do happily know Laughing Jeanie Powell at Channel 48....let me know if ya'll want me to try and get her or someone else on the story.
Bandit - Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:25 pm
Post subject:
the almighty chikin has spoken...
slolx - Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:29 pm
Post subject:
Good luck getting Dale Strong to Take notice of anything that does not involve Monrovia.
Hubcap - Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:19 pm
Post subject:
Chikin wrote:
I'm a fan of HSV Dragway. I would hate to see it shut down. I've raced there for years and think its absolutely STUPID that people would move right next to a Dragway and then complain.

Yeah it would be good for my business, but I'd rather have HSV stay. Its a part of my own history Crying or Very sad I will support HSV Dragway in anyway possible Exclamation

I do happily know Laughing Jeanie Powell at Channel 48....let me know if ya'll want me to try and get her or someone else on the story.

So,Miss Powell,hot or not?She looks the hotness on t.v.
Chikin - Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:57 am
Post subject:
Hubcap wrote:
Chikin wrote:

So,Miss Powell,hot or not?She looks the hotness on t.v.

I would have to say hot, just alittle too high society 4 me....( disclaimer: If my gf asks, you didn't hear me say the hot part Laughing I'm not allowed to watch 48 in her presence anymore Rolling Eyes )
Taco - Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:16 am
Post subject:
Well, hot, hi society or whatever, let's get her in on this ASAP!!!

We need as many hi-profile, in-the-know people as deep in this thing as we can get them. Greg Screws plays in the poker tourney in Madison from time to time. I will corner his big ass next time i see him there!!!
MyBad70 - Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:38 am
Post subject:
Hi, Bobby.
We have the Huntsville Dragway on our story idea sheet.
Would you be willing to talk to us on camera?

Julie

---------------------------------
Julie Reyburn
Executive Producer
WAFF 48 News
1414 N. Memorial Pkwy
Huntsville, AL 35801
(256) 533-6397 Newsroom
(256) 534-4101 Fax
00_EKHatch - Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:39 am
Post subject:
Someone hurry up and say yes...
bigbadbowtie - Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:41 am
Post subject:
He better say yes...
Taco - Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:44 am
Post subject:
Bobby,

DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!DO IT!
DO IT!

Thanks,
Taco
MyBad70 - Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:46 am
Post subject:
my Reply........

Id rather not be on camera, but
there is a huge event at the track 3/31 & 4/1
Its one of the Best races of the year, Horsepower TV will be there etc.
People come from all over the nation for this race. I think it would be a
good time to get the racers feedback on this.

Bobby Weaver
CableMart Inc.
Computer & Electronics Importer & Distributor
(256) 864-9524
Taco - Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:46 am
Post subject:
Hey... this reminded me to check my e-mail...

Lo and behold:

Jeremy,

Thanks for your email.

We have this idea on our story sheet. Hopefully we can report it soon.

Will you or anyone else that you know of be willing to talk to us on camera?

Julie

---------------------------------
Julie Reyburn
Executive Producer
WAFF 48 News
1414 N. Memorial Pkwy
Huntsville, AL 35801
(256) 533-6397 Newsroom
(256) 534-4101 Fax
Taco - Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:48 am
Post subject:
I'm going to reply something to the same effect Bobby. I'd be willing to be on camera, but I'd rather let the video from the ORSCA race to the talking.
chevy408 - Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:48 am
Post subject:
I just got off the phone with Mike Gilespie (Madison County Commission Chairman). He is not aware of any current noise oridinance problems regarding Huntsville Dragway except for a call from Randy ? and me. He gave me the following advice:
1. Don't stir the pot if it isn't already being stirred. Make sure that the Dragway is under fire again before bringing a lot of publicity to it.
2. Get the racing community to self-police the events. Encourage others not to park on residents property, pick up litter, don't dump sewage from motor homes, etc.
3. The only revenue Huntsville Dragway generates for Madison County Commission comes from gasoline sales tax, and that is only a small percent. Therefore the argument of HD generating a lot of money for Madison County is negligeable. In reality, a subdivision would generate more property tax than the dragstrip.

Mike says that he doesn't want to loose the dragstrip, but the reality is that it creates a headache for the Commission with noise, traffic, littering complaints. My opinion from talking with him is that he doesn't see a lot of positive points to keeping the strip operational. We need to get local business that profit from the dragstrip to change the Commission's opinion. Let's see how many local hotels are booked up next weekend. How will gas station revenue compare between this weekend and next weekend. How much nitrous oxide will be sold by Seco, Huntsville Engine, R&R.

Got to get back to work now.
Strype - Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:48 am
Post subject:
Someone go on camera and tell North Alabama that we don't want a bunch of pissed off teenagers running around the streets.

Bobby I'd go on camera with you... But ummm... I can't due to my job Smile
Taco - Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:53 am
Post subject:
I replied:

Ms Reyburn,

While I would be willing to go on camera if there are no other volunteers, I'd much rather see you send at least a field team to the ORSCA Race at Huntsville Dragway coming up March 31-April 1.

I will be there, as will (very literally) THOUSANDS of North Alabamians. I am sure you will find many willing participants for your on-camera interviews. However, I believe the images of competitors and fans from across the nation will speak far more about the situation than any interview.

Thank you SO MUCH for your reply, I sincerely hope with WAFF's help, we can make a difference and keep OUR track operating!

Thanks again,
Jeremy Patterson
MyBad70 - Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:59 am
Post subject:
although id love to see martin road packed like back in the day............i dont want it to be the only option.

as with everyone else, ive been goin to this track since i was 4-5 years old. watching my uncle race his 69 coronet super bee and lime green dodge dart.
i get pissed when they raise the admission, but hell i remember payin 5 to get in and run all ya want, then 5 admission 5 to run, then 10 admission run or not and now the 10 +5 to run.
sure baileyton is cheaper, and more laid back. but baileyton couldnt hold the special events we have here. ive never been to moulton so im not sure about that, but i dont wanna have to drive to atlanta to see orsca.
i may not go out and race seriously like a lot of you guys, but i do have a lot of fun at the track. So ill help you guys all i can. we can fight this

house burning party......3am sunday, closest sub division to the track. dont be late
haha
jk
Strype - Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:01 am
Post subject:
Man... If they close that track it'll be just as bad as it was when Mayor Spencer shut down Martin Road.

LOL

It won't take them long to realize that they need to open it again.

I bet if Huntsville Dragway were to extend to 1/4 mile and host more larger events you'd never here the Commission or anyone else complain again.
bigbadbowtie - Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:23 am
Post subject:
My thoughts behind this is George probably knows he is losing this battle. Thats the reason he has been dumping cash in MMP. Sad.
but then again ...what do I know...

I know I will hate to see it shut down if it comes to it.
Taco - Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:33 am
Post subject:
chevy406 wrote:
I just got off the phone with Mike Gilespie (Madison County Commission Chairman). He is not aware of any current noise oridinance problems regarding Huntsville Dragway except for a call from Randy ? and me. He gave me the following advice:

The ordinance itself is a friggin problem!
Quote:

1. Don't stir the pot if it isn't already being stirred. Make sure that the Dragway is under fire again before bringing a lot of publicity to it.

They had to cancel this past weekends race. If they have had "no problems", why did this just "out of the blue" happen?
Quote:

2. Get the racing community to self-police the events. Encourage others not to park on residents property, pick up litter, don't dump sewage from motor homes, etc.

We know this already. HD has made a valiant effort to improve these situations.
Quote:
3. The only revenue Huntsville Dragway generates for Madison County Commission comes from gasoline sales tax, and that is only a small percent. Therefore the argument of HD generating a lot of money for Madison County is negligeable. In reality, a subdivision would generate more property tax than the dragstrip.

Is this guy serious??? Gas sales tax??? What about the THOUSANDS of people who will need Gas, Hotel rooms, Food, and "entertainment" the weekend of the ORSCA race??? Sure, this is only a few-times-a year occurance, but that's because the stipulations of the noise ordinance only allow 3-4 "Special" events through the year.

I would be willing to bet HD could have and event equal in size, if not larger than, the ORSCA race EVERY MONTH if it were allowed.
Quote:

Mike says that he doesn't want to loose the dragstrip,(BS! -Taco) but the reality is that it creates a headache for the Commission with noise, traffic, littering complaints. My opinion from talking with him is that he doesn't see a lot of positive points to keeping the strip operational. We need to get local business that profit from the dragstrip to change the Commission's opinion. Let's see how many local hotels are booked up next weekend. How will gas station revenue compare between this weekend and next weekend. How much nitrous oxide will be sold by Seco, Huntsville Engine, R&R.

Got to get back to work now.

I think this is exactly what needs to happen. Let's see who we can get in the Chamber of Commerce or perhaps the BBB that might be able to look back and correlate the economic activity of hotels, restaurants and gas stations on the weekends of the "big races" as compared to those of a regular weekend.

Also, I'd like to know how our "street racing" activity compares to that of cities similar in demographic statistics but without a sanctioned drag strip.
Taco - Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:03 pm
Post subject:
UPDATE

Thanks Jeremy.
I will move the story idea to those days for us to pursue.

Julie

We'll see where this takes us!
secondtwig - Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:06 pm
Post subject:
http://media.www.dailytitan.com/media/storage/paper861/news/2005/05/23/News/Street.Legal.Drag.Racing-1539100.shtml

Something about the effects of drag strips on street racing in Cali.....
secondtwig - Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:15 pm
Post subject:
http://www.cops.usdoj.gov/mime/open.pdf?Item=1418

Most of it is street racing related, but starting on on the bottom of page 24 there is something about "providing a safe alternative". Check it out.
97GST - Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:17 pm
Post subject:
It's 64 pages long man! lol...
secondtwig - Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:20 pm
Post subject:
Scroll down to the bottom of page 24. The pages are numbered. If you don't know how to scroll, go ask Al Gore.
Hubcap - Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:26 pm
Post subject:
secondtwig wrote:
Scroll down to the bottom of page 24. The pages are numbered. If you don't know how to scroll, go ask Al Gore.

Laugh Laugh

Owned
Twig - Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:30 pm
Post subject:
secondtwig wrote:

Secondtwig in with the ownage!!
97GST - Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:46 pm
Post subject:
I know that tard.. lol.. Just sayin that its 64 pages.
bigbadbowtie - Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:53 pm
Post subject:
That was pretty dang funny....
Taco - Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:07 pm
Post subject:
Laughing

Nice 2nd!
chevy408 - Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:23 pm
Post subject:
Well Dale Strong just called me back. He also claims to not have heard anything recently about noise problems at the dragstrip. He said that he was trying to get in touch with George Howard to see what is up.

By the way, who started all this recent uproar? Is there really anything to it? I jumped on the bandwagon without even knowing which direction the wagon was rolling. But I ain't skeered to get involved to keep our dragstrip operational.
Taco - Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:31 pm
Post subject:
[url]http://forum.georgehowardracing.com/viewtopic.php?t=247 [/url]

That's what started it all this time around.

I too just assumed this happened because some more local yokels were whining.

I personally want to see it agged on until they repeal the ordinance itself.
bigbadbowtie - Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:45 pm
Post subject:
I issumed as well but from that post and them canceling a race...somthing must be going on...

On the home page of their site it says we need racers and fans support under the race cancelation.
CMcCarthy - Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:10 pm
Post subject:
I kinda get the impression that Dale is a bit worried about the negative press. If the media gets ahold of the fact he's knee deep in a conflict of interests regarding the development in that area, he'll have to answer some tough questions.
Strype - Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:17 pm
Post subject:
CMcCarthy wrote:
I kinda get the impression that Dale is a bit worried about the negative press. If the media gets ahold of the fact he's knee deep in a conflict of interests regarding the development in that area, he'll have to answer some tough questions.

Agreed... I think you guys are going to find that a dead end road
mjhoward - Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:20 pm
Post subject:
CMcCarthy wrote:

I don't know the guy or any of the public servants in the area but by the way it is all being handled I wouldn't doubt, or should I say i'd be very surprised if some of our public servants don't have financial interests in the housing development in the area.
If some of that became known (if it is the case)our battle wouldn't be nearly as hard to fight.
Taco - Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:35 pm
Post subject:
That would be a nice little tid bit of info to have in our arsenal. If it comes to light the commission is lining thier pockets, we would probably have some course of legal action wouldn't we???
chevy408 - Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:37 pm
Post subject:
If you look at the www.huntsvilledragstrip.com announcement, it says that only the headsup race this weekend is being cancelled due to the noise ordinance. It doesn't say anything about new harrassment. It's just that as of January 2007 all cars are required to have mufflers except for 3 special events. I don't see what started this latest round of panic.
bigbadbowtie - Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:46 pm
Post subject:
Phone call does wonders.. from GH racing. They have had MORE complaints from neigbors. A lawyer has been contacted By GH. The person I spoke with on the phone urged me to call my county commisioner and exprees my views on the track, ordinance,ect ect.
... quote...."If every racer would make one call it would make a difference" I did not ask who i was talking with.

Guess Ill be emailing and calling some more.
Taco - Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:48 pm
Post subject:
Thanks Ray. Good idea to just call somebody!
mjhoward - Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:14 pm
Post subject:
Taco wrote:
That would be a nice little tid bit of info to have in our arsenal. If it comes to light the commission is lining thier pockets, we would probably have some course of legal action wouldn't we???

Yeah, there would definately be legal issues with that but just to make things clear before someone takes my statement of pure speculation and runs with it the wrong way. IT IS NOTHING MORE THAN ME THINKING OUT LOUD.
Someone taking that and running with it the wrong way could cause major egg in our faces and show Huntsville Dragway to be uncredible.
My personal opinion is that 95+% of people wanting to get into a political position is to align themselves in a way to help better themselves for reasons other than "just a job".
jamesson - Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:46 pm
Post subject:
I would be willing to go on camera but I'm so damn ugly Sad But I would do anything to keep hsv track going, like raise money for lawyer fee's start riots <---- hobby of mine picket out front of mayor office burn houses down<-------hobby of mine go on hunger strikes<-------- will help with the ugly problem. anything guys just let me know
Bandit - Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:39 pm
Post subject:
hell i'll go on there and speak on the Teen populations behalf before some honda punkass gets on there and makes us look worse...
Taco - Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:50 am
Post subject:
I just got a voicemail from Nick Banaszak at Channel 31 about this issue.

I'm going to call him back in just a few minutes. Anybody have any points that need to be made, other than the intense need for them to be at the ORSCA race?
Taco - Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:21 am
Post subject:
Nobody??? Nothing???
Hubcap - Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:29 am
Post subject:
How about the FACT that these people built new houses around a dragstrip that has been there since the 50's?

I am afriad we are fighting a loosing battle.. Rolling Eyes
Taco - Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:36 am
Post subject:
Well, we may be, but I'm gonna fight until they bury me or the track one!
Buzzmanb12 - Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:42 am
Post subject:
If they make it that everyone has to have mufflers except 3 events, the big hitters won't be out at the track near as much. Won't be any testing or events with the really fast cars and without that crowds will be smaller as well. Putting limitations on the track will just cause it to die off. Just my .02.

Buzz
Taco - Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:45 am
Post subject:
That's what the homeowners are trying to do Buzz. I truly believe that. They will not be happy until that is what they have done.
Bandit - Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:59 am
Post subject:
if they close the track...and they don't bulldoze it in the process...I have a feeling there will still be racing there.
Flyin' A II - Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:13 pm
Post subject:
Sent copy of letter.
DB - Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:18 pm
Post subject:
Taco wrote:

I'm going to call him back in just a few minutes. Anybody have any points that need to be made, other than the intense need for them to be at the ORSCA race?

How about some investigative reporting? Can they uncover facts that might link members of city council to the development in the area? That would be an awesome story. I can't see how anyone on council can be so ignorant to grant a noise ordinance for a small group of people without their own agenda.

How about talking to the people who live in the area and see if the builder/seller made the buyer aware there was a dragstrip near by that could be heard. How can someone buy a house knowing there is a dragstrip near by and then complain about the noise. I'm sure I could buy a beautiful home near a garbage dump for half the price of one in a nice neighborhood. If I choose to do so it's my own fault for having to smell the waste.

I would never move next to an amusement park and complain about the noise. Although I might not attend the park I'm not going to attempt to shut it down when it's an attraction for individual and family fun.

You can forward this if you want Taco. There has to be a story here besides the one the complainers have brought forth.
Flyin' A II - Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:21 pm
Post subject:
Madam Mayor also got the letter via email. Don't know much about her, still digging.
Flyin' A II - Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:24 pm
Post subject:
DB wrote:
Taco wrote:

How about some investigative reporting? Can they uncover facts that might link members of city council to the development in the area? That would be an awesome story. I can't see how anyone on council can be so ignorant to grant a noise ordinance for a small group of people without their own agenda.

How about talking to the people who live in the area and see if the builder/seller made the buyer aware there was a dragstrip near by that could be heard. How can someone buy a house knowing there is a dragstrip near by and then complain about the noise. I'm sure I could buy a beautiful home near a garbage dump for half the price of one in a nice neighborhood. If I choose to do so it's my own fault for having to smell the waste.

I would never move next to an amusement park and complain about the noise. Although I might not attend the park I'm not going to attempt to shut it down when it's an attraction for individual and family fun.

You can forward this if you want Taco. There has to be a story here besides the one the complainers have brought forth.

Land ownershio is a matter of public record. Get the names of the coucilors, solicitors and other officials and check tax record against land ownershio in that area. I just don't know who your local gov't officials are or the names of those roads out there.
Taco - Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:45 pm
Post subject:
Dusty, I truly do believe that is what is going on here. I believe there are some palms being greased and some pockets being lined.

I can only imagine that the land value of the property near the track would literally SKYROCKET if the track was to be forced into closure. Who has the power to make that happen...? Therefore, who would it make the most sense for the landowners to "buy" and get their agenda pushed through.

Mr Casey, I think you are onto something. If it's OK, I may "borrow" some lines from yourself and Dusty to use when I talk to Nick. I haven't called him back yet because we have been SLAMMED here at work and I don't want to omit anything from the conversation.

I will be making a list and I will probably call him in the morning since things should be fairly quiet here in the morning.

If you have anything you'd like brought up, please just make a quick post for shoot me a PM. I'll check here in the morning before I call him.

Also, since I don't have an internet connection, I would like for somebody to look into something for me. Is there any statute or "loophole" that could allow a noise ordinance to be repealed or overridden.

I'm sure there's some info out there, it just has to be dug up.

Also, if anybody knows or has heard about a track or similar facility facing the same pressure and being able to remain in operation, can you find me some info, anything. Phone numbers, web sites, press releases, ANYTHING.

Thanks guys!
caspernicus - Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:22 pm
Post subject:
Here's one thing I found. I'm sure theres somthing else to it but here
ya go

read point one of 12-233
http://www.hsvcity.com/NatRes/noise1.htm#Sec.12-233.

Like I said, I'm sure there's more to it but it seems like the dragstrip falls
into that exception

heres the whole code of ordinance.
http://www.hsvcity.com/NatRes/noise1.htm
2SSRSinBama - Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:56 am
Post subject:
there you go, mention that article, it specifically states Huntsville dragway is an exception, as any SANCTIONED track would be... that is the answer...
Taco - Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:44 am
Post subject:
Obviously this is great if it is current. However, seeing as how the ordinance enacted last year was in direct response to the dragstrip, I cannot imagine they would exempt it from the ordinance.

I'll dig further.
WDW MKR - Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:20 pm
Post subject:
Who saw the news last night? I was at a bar and saw the piece on Huntsville Dragway and the noise ordinance, but I couldn't hear anything.
WDW MKR - Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:15 pm
Post subject:
Nevermind. They just ran it again. Not a very good piece. Certainly no mention of the track being existing when the houses were built.
GearedUp - Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:22 pm
Post subject:
The report last night when it first come out said "it had been there for 50 years."
Felix - Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:25 pm
Post subject:
On the note of Huntsville Drag way, it was on Spike TV today.

To be covered by a "major" TV program has to count for something.
Racefab - Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:40 pm
Post subject:
Midnight drags where a very good venue to give the younger crowd a safe and supervised place to go and race or just hang out. Has anyone brough this up?
I just watched the channel 19 news segment on the issue. They interviewed a resident close by and his complaint was that the roads were not made for the trucks & trailers that travel to and from the strip and it was hard for him to get out.

He's right, but I think people are looking for anything to complain about, and are not gonna be happy until the strip is closed. It's not like the trucks are lined up bumper to bumper for 3 hours every week end.

Mr Strong says that it's a headache for the Commission with noise, traffic and littering complaints. Sounds like the old saying "the squeeky wheel gets the greese" falls in line right here. I say they and the powers that govern them stand up (for once) for what is right and say "enough"!
I mean where did we loose our common sence? Are we chicken to stand up for what's right anymore? Hey I love to race but I'd be the first to say it's wrong to put up a dragstrip in a pre existing neighborhood. But thats not the way it is here, the strip was here way before anyone thats complaining. The guy on 19 tonight did not even look 50 years old so I know he was not there first.

If the realtors sold the homes/land under false pretences then they should be held accountable. If not, then the buyers should be told that the show will go on, so get used to it or get out. Simple as that.

I'd be willing to chip in on some burgers, dogs and drinks and have a road side clean up day if I thought it would do any good. I'm sure that other local businesses would do the same. We could get together one Saturday morning and clean the road to the drag strip if the county would furnish a few dumpsters or a garbage truck at the strip for that day. THis would get them involved and may help our cause some. I really think the only people that would appreciate this would be the work release inmates but it sure would be worth a try. It really would look good if we just "happened" to have a news crew come buy and film the good deeds.

David Lemmond
mjhoward - Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:58 am
Post subject:
Racefab wrote:
I'd be willing to chip in on some burgers, dogs and drinks and have a road side clean up day if I thought it would do any good. I'm sure that other local businesses would do the same. We could get together one Saturday morning and clean the road to the drag strip if the county would furnish a few dumpsters or a garbage truck at the strip for that day. THis would get them involved and may help our cause some. I really think the only people that would appreciate this would be the work release inmates but it sure would be worth a try. It really would look good if we just "happened" to have a news crew come buy and film the good deeds.

David Lemmond

Very good idea. I'd be more than willing to offer my assistance if it doesn't interfere with my work schedule.
LagoGarda - Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:06 am
Post subject:
caspernicus wrote:
Here's one thing I found. I'm sure theres somthing else to it but here
ya go

read point one of 12-233
http://www.hsvcity.com/NatRes/noise1.htm#Sec.12-233.

Like I said, I'm sure there's more to it but it seems like the dragstrip falls
into that exception

heres the whole code of ordinance.
http://www.hsvcity.com/NatRes/noise1.htm

It's not in the city and Mad'am Mayor has no say so, thus the COUNTY commisions involvement. A handful was on hand last year at the meeting when they came up with the county ordinance and as long as the law is followed (mufflers, ending time, etc...) there shouldn't be a problem. Having said that, I would STRONGLY suggest a LARGER showing at the commision meeting of those who support the dragway, if it comes up again. I went last year to support my racing brotheren only to see a handful of others..."A" being I could count on one hand...normal hand..5 fingers, of the dragway supporters...Samir had a video clip of the meeting on the HuntsvilleCarScene web site at one time along with a copy of the ordinance, not sure he reads this or not but if so ..POST UP!!. Winchester and Moulton dirt tracks both operated under a similiar ordinance and have done so for years. It's just a matter of following the ordinance and you can be rest assured that if the ordinace says racing stops at 10pm during the week that there is some in that area that will bitch if they here a race at 10:01pm...they will document the day and time and have the commision on the phone.
LagoGarda - Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:10 am
Post subject:
04GTP-WhatLag? wrote:
there you go, mention that article, it specifically states Huntsville dragway is an exception, as any SANCTIONED track would be... that is the answer...

That being a CITY ordinace would make Huntsville Speedway the exception..... Idea maybe the Dragstrip needs to get annexed into the city of Huntsville. Cool
Anonymous - Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:09 am
Post subject:
They need to do something, its completely STUPID as hell for us to even have be talking about this, race cars make noise, there is noise at a race track, so dont be a fuckin idiot and move in next door to the track if you dont like noise..plain and simple..'

And whats even more retarded is that the noise and traffic that occurs is only what? 2-3 nights a week..Why dont we all start going to the track every single damn night with our loud cars and shit and give these morons somethin to really complain about?
Taco - Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:54 am
Post subject:
Racefab wrote:
Midnight drags where a very good venue to give the younger crowd a safe and supervised place to go and race or just hang out. Has anyone brough this up?
I just watched the channel 19 news segment on the issue. They interviewed a resident close by and his complaint was that the roads were not made for the trucks & trailers that travel to and from the strip and it was hard for him to get out.

He's right, but I think people are looking for anything to complain about, and are not gonna be happy until the strip is closed. It's not like the trucks are lined up bumper to bumper for 3 hours every week end.

Mr Strong says that it's a headache for the Commission with noise, traffic and littering complaints. Sounds like the old saying "the squeeky wheel gets the greese" falls in line right here. I say they and the powers that govern them stand up (for once) for what is right and say "enough"!
I mean where did we loose our common sence? Are we chicken to stand up for what's right anymore? Hey I love to race but I'd be the first to say it's wrong to put up a dragstrip in a pre existing neighborhood. But thats not the way it is here, the strip was here way before anyone thats complaining. The guy on 19 tonight did not even look 50 years old so I know he was not there first.

If the realtors sold the homes/land under false pretences then they should be held accountable. If not, then the buyers should be told that the show will go on, so get used to it or get out. Simple as that.

David Lemmond

Hey David, welcome to the Board.

I think you have a couple of valid points that need to be brought up. While I don't think it should be the responisbility of George Howard Racing, I wonder what he could do in the way of "helping" get the roads widened or something to alleviate the congestion on race nights.

I certainly agree with the "safe place to race" arguement, but that seems to hold NO water with the commissioners, perhaps because there haven't been any major street racing "accidents". Unfortuantely, that is usually what it takes to get something done around here. How many people have had to be hurt or killed at COUNTLESS intersections before a redlight or other traffic signal was installed. Apparently the "powers that be" around here work reactively as opposed to stopping a problem before it becomes such.

I really think the "clean-up" day might help, but ONLY if a news crew did a small piece on it, and even then they would have to be sure to "spin" it in our favor.

DarkSide... while I'm sure most all of us share your views on this, we have to keep a level head and not let our emotions talk us into doing something stupid that will only hurt our situation. We have to be the voice of reason because these landowners certainly aren't being reasonable.
Misled - Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:10 am
Post subject:
Didnt realize George had other interests besides drag racing!!!lol He sells lumber and does commercials for it. Yella Fella rides on!!!!
watty - Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:34 am
Post subject:
Has anyone thought about getting the County Sheriff's Deputies involved in a "Safe Place to Race" program. Of the several I have met, they seem to be pretty cool level headed people that would probably respond very well to an event like this. Also, who do you think will be the ones that have to respond to noise complaints? It would be nice to have them on our side.

Watty

P.S.-- I live about 3/4 of a mile from the drag strip and have no problems with noise.
Taco - Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:13 pm
Post subject:
That's an excellent idea Watty, I'll have to keep that in mind. Perhaps some of our law-enforcement members can offer some advice.
The World Famous adamB - Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:13 pm
Post subject:
Watty's suggestion is a good one. Basically, I too think we are fighting a losing battle, however, typically those are the battles that need fighting. In a situation like this, if we just raise hell about the 50+ year old dragstrip being shut down, people will say, "So what." What we must do, is come up with something, that MAKES it a necessity. This means that either we have to find a large, factual, concrete reason as to why it would hurt the society/money/etc. of this area; or, the most likely thing, is create something that makes it a political nightmare to shut it down.

Politicians will not do something that is gonna cause them and the area tons of bad press. So, basically, we have to figure out what we can start, or how we can make, shutting down the dragstrip, as offensive in the public eye as forbidding a church to meet. We have to figure out something that can cause bad PR for this area for that would spread atleast through the state. Honestly, I think our best bet is to try to get someone like Speed involved. Hell, lets some of us get together and figure out a reality show about the racers in this town trying to save what is so dear to us. Something guys, we have to come up with something.

The great thing about this country, is the little guy can win, if he knows how to work the system. We need to quit focusing on trying to change that ordinance, because honestly, it won't happen. Especially if government officials have a financial interest in the area. We must find a way that makes that ordinance fade away because of fear of what enforcing it could mean.

Everyone has some homework. Download, Rent, Buy, whatever, just watch the movie "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington." It is an old black and white with James Stewart in it. Watch it, then you will understand how we can beat the system. Oh, and just so you know, it is about a country boy that tries to save a stretch of land from the claws of the corrupted government power, so that there can be a safe place for the youth of the area to go and have fun and do what they love. . .so yeah, it kinda applies.
bigbadbowtie - Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:04 pm
Post subject:
Looks like there is a petition going around thats being signed with mucho signatures. It will be available to sign at the track this weekend. The petition is being given to GH's lawyer. It sounds like this will be a big help on the side of the track.....

Taco... did I miss read what was posted on GH's froum? Thats what I got out of it.
DB - Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:16 pm
Post subject:
I think what Adam hit on is the whole problem. The council is in it for their own purpose. There are more voters in the area surrounding the track than there is attending the track although the track affects and draws people nationwide.
WDW MKR - Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:18 pm
Post subject:
I couldn't believe the amount of new housing construction on my way to the track. The complaints are only going to get worse. I think our best hope at this point is to play by the rules and hold them to the ordinance. No chance of getting it reversed. Playing damage control to keep what we have might be the only shot.
DB - Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:29 pm
Post subject:
Makes you wonder if the sellers notify the buyers they have a dragstrip within earshot. If they did they may not sell the house........If they don't they get another pissed off neighbor to complain about the track Evil or Very Mad
zach t - Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:38 pm
Post subject:
just a quick note, and i may have said this before.....

On most nights, its not the congestion, primarily. It is the size of the rigs in relation to the road. They book it down the road, and either way you go you have a long sweeper that they love to hog. Never fails that when you go around those curves, there will be a rig going the other way. I have hit too many garbage cans to speak of.

The noise isnt bad. Lived with it all my life.

Aside from the traffic, the only other problems i have ever had have been people parking on our land. you never get people that just park. They are ALWAYS doing something they dont need to be doing. EX. I have had 2 different vehicles burned to the ground on my land.

Some of you have heard my stories about the 7-11 weekend. I wont go into to detail, but it involved having my driveway blocked(its an 1/8th mile long) on both sides, and being threatened by drunks....on my own land.
Bandit - Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:45 pm
Post subject:
I seriously think we should take part in a roadside cleanup, and have one of us younger guys tell about a friend who was killed in a street racing wreck or something like that on camera.
MyBad70 - Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:24 pm
Post subject:
Napoleon wrote:

Some of you have heard my stories about the 7-11 weekend. I wont go into to detail, but it involved having my driveway blocked(its an 1/8th mile long) on both sides, and being threatened by drunks....on my own land.

i can imagine. i got caught in that traffic like 3 years ago. in my truck, bored .060. sucked. i swear it took me 2 hours to get thru that shit. then a hour after i finally made it into the track a storm hit and everyone left.

Ill help anyway i can guys. just let me know
whiteck91 - Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:06 am
Post subject:
My wife works for news channel 19. She did a story on the track. We think it's b/s that people are complainin about the noise. The track was there first. We have been racing there for years and had alot of good times. They took away midnight madness but they complain about us street racing. One way or the other, were goin' race somewhere. They can choose. I don't care, either way, I'm racein'.
LagoGarda - Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:57 am
Post subject:
Napoleon wrote:
just a quick note, and i may have said this before.....

On most nights, its not the congestion, primarily. It is the size of the rigs in relation to the road. They book it down the road, and either way you go you have a long sweeper that they love to hog. Never fails that when you go around those curves, there will be a rig going the other way. I have hit too many garbage cans to speak of.

The noise isnt bad. Lived with it all my life.

Aside from the traffic, the only other problems i have ever had have been people parking on our land. you never get people that just park. They are ALWAYS doing something they dont need to be doing. EX. I have had 2 different vehicles burned to the ground on my land.

Might be why 7-11 won't be held there again.
zach t - Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:04 am
Post subject:
And believe me, i am VERY gratefull for it. however, the same things still happen, i just cant put an exact date on it like i used to could.
Taco - Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:22 am
Post subject:
whiteck91 wrote:
My wife works for news channel 19. She did a story on the track. We think it's b/s that people are complainin about the noise. The track was there first. We have been racing there for years and had alot of good times. They took away midnight madness but they complain about us street racing. One way or the other, were goin' race somewhere. They can choose. I don't care, either way, I'm racein'.

You sir could be one of our best assets. Would you mind (PM if you please) telling me who your wife is, if she's on the air and when, and how we can help get WHNT to help "spin" this story in our favor. I haven't noticed any of the news channels putting any spin on it, either in our favor or not, but a little positive press would help tremendously.

I also believe a reality show or some type of nationwide press on SPEED or maybe even ESPN (they will likely be there this weekend fellas!) with a mention of what's going on besides the great racing would have to help also.

I've done some digging but I can't find any info on the subject, but I know there's a track or 2 out there that has been through this and "won".

I honestly believe we have a couple of strong arguements we need to present. One is that the track is a "safe, controlled, off-the-highways-and-backroads place for us to race without endagering the lives of ourselves and innocent motorists". I think that is our strongest, most compelling arguement and we need to PUSH IT!!!

Also, we need to really push the idea of getting the sheriff's department and/of HPD involved in a Midnite Madess "Take it off the streets" type event, be it weekly, bi-weekly or even monthly. This probably won't help much with street racing, but just having the press aware of the program and the commissioners having a hand in ending a program like that if the track is closed would put a lot of pressure on the commission to allow the track some leeway and to continue to operate.

I think having the ordinance repealed, while that would be AWESOME, is a L-O-N-G shot. However, if we can get a little positive press and keep our noses clean (staying below the allowed Db levels and within our allowed time frame) we will have a track to race at for at least the forseeable future!!!
WDW MKR - Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:30 pm
Post subject:
Bandit3 wrote:
I seriously think we should take part in a roadside cleanup, and have one of us younger guys tell about a friend who was killed in a street racing wreck or something like that on camera.

Did you lose a friend to street racing?
LagoGarda - Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:42 pm
Post subject:
just a thought....With all the BRAC talk, if we can find someone placed here due to BRAC and states they decided to come because there is a dragstrip. Wink ...it would be like winning the lottery with the politicians!!!! If it has anything to do with BRAC and helps bring folks into the area, politicians listen.
Bandit - Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:38 pm
Post subject:
yeah actually i did about two years ago, and it's partially why I hate Honduh's. She lost control about 90 in a 1996 Accord, the seatbelt snapped and when it flipped she went out the window and the car landed on top of her crushing her from her stomach down my other friend came out with glass through his left hand.
WDW MKR - Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:56 pm
Post subject:
That's terrible. I've had similar experiences, but mostly with bikes. Not sure I could use it for a political chess piece, though.

Is the reported advertisement being done for HSV Dragway related to the new pressure from residents?
whiteck91 - Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:05 am
Post subject:
I talked to my wife and she said she thought the same way. This is just getting started, and they will be doing future stories on it. She plans on pitching a story from a streetracers perspective, but it's hard finding someone that wants to go on camera. They can't put a spin on things because their supposed to be fair and balanced but they can put a viewer on camera who has a biased opinion.
As a customer of Huntsville Dragway, I don't like the fact that prices keep goning up, you can't race who you want, and bikes have to wait FOREVER. I would rather save a 45 min drive and just go to Moulton. You can run who you want to, and you don't have to deal with all the b/s. But I would still hate to see Huntsville go over something silly like this. I will do what I can to see it stay open.
Bandit - Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:19 am
Post subject:
i'll go on camera if they really need someone.
Misled - Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:32 am
Post subject:
Bandit3 wrote:
i'll go on camera if they really need someone.

UGGGGHHHHHHH!!! No thanks. Your more of a radio kinda guy
MyBad70 - Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:38 am
Post subject:
Laughing Laughing
LagoGarda - Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:09 am
Post subject:
mybad70 wrote:
Laughing Laughing

WDW MKR - Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:03 am
Post subject:
whiteck91 wrote:
I talked to my wife and she said she thought the same way. This is just getting started, and they will be doing future stories on it. She plans on pitching a story from a streetracers perspective, but it's hard finding someone that wants to go on camera. They can't put a spin on things because their supposed to be fair and balanced but they can put a viewer on camera who has a biased opinion.
As a customer of Huntsville Dragway, I don't like the fact that prices keep goning up, you can't race who you want, and bikes have to wait FOREVER. I would rather save a 45 min drive and just go to Moulton. You can run who you want to, and you don't have to deal with all the b/s. But I would still hate to see Huntsville go over something silly like this. I will do what I can to see it stay open.

$15 is not much money. I've been to a lot of 1/4 mile tracks that charge $25-30 and it's packed as hell.

Were you not there this past Sunday? I was in the staging lanes forever because everyone got to race whomever they wanted and hordes of bikes were allowed to go between every 4-5 pairs of cars. Hell, I watched them cycle the through bikes three times before I got to run and I was less than 10 cars back in my staging lane.
CMcCarthy - Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:19 am
Post subject:
whiteck91 wrote:

As a customer of Huntsville Dragway, I don't like the fact that prices keep goning up, you can't race who you want, and bikes have to wait FOREVER. I would rather save a 45 min drive and just go to Moulton. You can run who you want to, and you don't have to deal with all the b/s.

It doesn't sound like you've been in a year or two. It was $10 to get in and race for at least 4 or 5 years, and now its $15. Big deal.

As far as the bikes, they've had the run of the place for the last year. Friday there were 60+ cars waiting in staging and the 10 bikes there got to run TWICE before they ran any cars. Piss on all that. When the bikes are outnumbered 10 to 1, they should wait ten times as long. Cars are the bread and butter, and should be treated accordingly.
MyBad70 - Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:16 pm
Post subject:
just checked the tracks site.

This is a NON-RESTRICTED weekend with
NO time limits and NO sound limits!

on the front page!
Taco - Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:25 am
Post subject:
RAWK ON!!!

I'm still hoping the camera crews show up EN MASSE!!!
97GST - Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:37 pm
Post subject:
Who all signed the forum to keep Huntsville Dragway open? It was at the concession stand. I signed it, and then turned around and asked the lady if I could have a seperate blank sheet. I'm going to take it to school and get everybody in the school that I possibly can to sign it. We have something like 2000 students, think that will be enough? Shoot, if it's not, i'll send it to work with my parents, my friends parents, so on so forth....
Taco - Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:36 am
Post subject:
Matt, thanks for your effort. Unfortuantely, I don't *THINK* a bunch of signatures from high school students will help.

In all reality, they don't have a vote... they don't have a voice.

It's unfortunate, but it's pretty much fact.

I signed it, and I saw a bunch of people sign it. I'm just hoping it helps!
Bandit - Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:29 pm
Post subject:
Well they're not checking to see the ages of people who sign the petition and we were actually encouraged to take it to school. Basically, the more signatures the less likely for it to go away.
Taco - Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:50 pm
Post subject:
It is a good thought and certainly won't hurt!
Tex62 - Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:36 pm
Post subject:
worth a shot anyway.
2SSRSinBama - Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:37 am
Post subject:
WHNT was at North Alabama drag strip tonight shooting some footage, I would bet it has to do with the noise of drag strips in general, probably in relation to the Huntsville Noise Ordinance...
bigbadbowtie - Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:27 am
Post subject:
Interesting.....